Deep ALMA photometry of distant X-ray AGN: improvements in star formation rate constraints, and AGN identification [GA]

We present the star formation rates (SFRs) of a sample of 109 galaxies with X-ray selected active galactic nuclei (AGN) with moderate to high X-ray luminosities (L(2-8keV)= 10^42-10^45 erg/s), at redshifts 1 < z < 4.7, that were selected to be faint or undetected in the Herschel bands. We combine our deep ALMA continuum observations with deblended 8-500{\mu}m photometry from Spitzer and Herschel, and use infrared (IR) SED fitting and AGN – star formation decomposition methods. The addition of the ALMA photometry results in an order of magnitude more X-ray AGN in our sample with a measured SFR (now 37%). The remaining 63% of the sources have SFR upper limits that are typically a factor of 2-10 times lower than the pre-ALMA constraints. With the improved constraints on the IR SEDs, we can now identify a mid-IR (MIR) AGN component in 50% of our sample, compared to only ~1% previously. We further explore the F870{\mu}m/F24{\mu}m-redshift plane as a tool for the identification of MIR emitting AGN, for three different samples representing AGN dominated, star formation dominated, and composite sources. We demonstrate that the F870{\mu}m/F24{\mu}m-redshift plane can successfully split between AGN and star formation dominated sources, and can be used as an AGN identification method.

Read this paper on arXiv…

F. Stanley, C. Harrison, D. Alexander, et. al.
Fri, 8 Dec 17

Comments: 19 pages (of which 8 are Appendix), 10 figures, submitted to MNRAS